Beaverton Severe Weather Shelter
About Severe Weather Shelter
The Beaverton Severe Weather shelter was opened in January 2017 to provide a warm, safe space for adults experiencing homelessness to stay during the winter. The shelter is operated by Just Compassion of East Washington County.
Details about opening
This year, in coordination with Washington County the BSWS will be expanding its services and will be one of the three confirmed shelters in Washington County for the winter. The BSWS is anticipated to open for ~120 days straight from Nov. 15, 2020 through March 2021 at the Beaverton Community Center (12350 SW 5th St.) as a 24/7 shelter in partnership with Just Compassion of East Washington County.
Due to COVID, this season will be different in the following key ways:
- BSWS will no longer be first come, first served: Shelter guests must be enrolled through an outreach worker.
- People can be enrolled at the shelter but may not be guaranteed a spot that night
- All staff onsite will be hired: In order to meet health and safety guidelines and expanded operational needs of the shelter this year, BSWS will not be utilizing volunteers. All positions will be hired staff of Just Compassion.
Washington County Shelter Resources
For an updated list of open severe weather shelters in Washington County, contact 211 info or look at the Shelter Activation List available online: www.co.washington.or.us/homeless Opens a New Window. .
How to Help
We do not currently have any volunteer opportunities.
Thank you all who donated during our Donation Day on December 16, 2020!
Due to community support, many of the items needed were fulfilled, and currently we are not needing donations.
If you have questions please email, CommServ@BeavertonOregon.gov
- “Beaverton extends its shelter through May 31 in coronavirus crisis” - Beaverton Valley Times 3/30/20
- “Beaverton’s severe weather shelter opens for season” - KATU 11/7/19
- “Giving shelter” - Beaverton Valley Times 4/5/17
- “New severe weather shelter opens in Beaverton” - OregonLive 1/15/17