Welcoming Week Rescheduled Event
Kurdish New Year (Newroz)
Date: March 20, 2021
Time: 1 - 3 pm
Location: The Round (12725 SW Millikan Way, Beaverton)
Description: Meet your Kurdish neighbors, learn about Kurdish cuisine, and enjoy Kurdish songs and dance!
This in-person event is made possible by CARES Act Mental Health & Community Psyche grant funds. COVID-19 safety protocols will be in place, including limited entry, social distancing and face coverings required. Anyone experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 should stay home.
About Welcoming Week
National Welcoming Week is an annual series of events designed to bring together immigrants, refugees, and U.S.-born residents to raise awareness of the benefits of welcoming everyone. The week’s activities celebrate the contributions of newcomers and provide opportunities to build cross-cultural relationships and understanding. The 2020 Beaverton Welcoming Week was celebrated under the theme of “Creating Home Together” alongside events in communities across the country. Beaverton’s next annual celebration will take place Sept. 10 - 19, 2021, as part of the broader city-wide Welcoming Beaverton initiative.
How to be involved:
- Host a public event
- Take a picture with one of the I’m a Welcomer signs Opens a New Window. and share it on social media with #BeavertonWelcomes.
- Attend the events and share your experience on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram!
- To learn about other events happening across the country, see Welcoming America Opens a New Window. .
About Welcoming Week Grants
The City of Beaverton sponsors grants for interactive, community driven projects that create tangible opportunities for immigrants and U.S.-born residents to build cross-cultural relationships during the annual celebration of Beaverton Welcoming Week. These grants support community partners to host a public event or activity that highlights the spirit of the week, for example cultural events, community gatherings, workshops, classes, art exhibitions, film showings, or advocacy events.
- Support community led projects that increase opportunities for cross cultural exchange
- Build Beaverton’s identity as a welcoming city
- Build relationships and understanding to unite residents
- Foster pride in our diverse community
Awards may be up to $1,500 per project / applicant per year and must be used for activities to take place in Beaverton during Welcoming Week in September.
The application for 2021 funds is now OPEN. Download the application and submit by Friday, May 7, 2021 for support for proposed events and activities during Beaverton Welcoming Week 2021.
Questions? Contact equity@BeavertonOregon.gov.
Interested in support for a program or project happening outside the scope of Welcoming Week?
Check out the Year-Round Welcoming Grants.
Thank you to our grantees and others who hosted events!
2020 Welcoming Week Grantees:
- Beaverton Civic Theatre – "Cinderella"
- Eleni’s Kitchen – Ethiopian Cooking Class clips (link coming soon)
- Hula Halau ‘Ohana Holo’oko’a – Sharing the Welcoming Culture of Polynesia through Dance
- Kurdish Community / Shara Noori – Kurdish Community Gathering
- MESO – Welcoming Week Meet-up
- Peruvian Cultural Festival – Travel to Peru
- The Immigrant Story – Dreams Deferred Part 1, Part 2
- Write Around Portland – Writing Across Cultures
Accommodation requests related to a disability should be made by 5 business days to the Cultural Inclusion Team: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dial 7-1-1 for Relay.