Downtown Design Project
Join your neighbors for a Downtown Design Project Open House on Saturday, April 21 to check out our progress. This community open house is a drop-in style event open to all from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Beaverton City Library located at 12375 SW Fifth Street. Refreshments and interpretation will be provided. Stop in during your visit to the Beaverton Farmers Market! Design concepts will cover several topics, including character areas, connectivity, and open spaces. We need your feedback about how downtown should look and feel to develop a design strategy for downtown’s future!
Urban Design Framework Open House
Saturday, April 21, 2018
10:30 am - 1:00 pm
Beaverton City Main Library
12375 SW 5th Street
Visit the virtual open house Opens a New Window. . Information presented at the April 21 open house will also be available to reviewed at the virtual open house starting April 19. More information about the project, and past virtual house events can be reviewed here as well.
A vibrant downtown is a top community priority, and the city is taking the next steps to make downtown a livelier, more welcoming destination. As downtown continues to evolve, the city is developing a comprehensive design strategy to guide future development. This strategy, called an urban design framework, will tap into downtown’s existing identity, as well as the community’s aspirations, to reflect local history, community values, and preferences about how downtown should look and feel. The resulting ideas and designs will determine how shops, housing, restaurants, parks and roads work together to add vibrancy and activity to downtown, making it an even more attractive place to visit.
The urban design framework will take shape in winter and spring of 2018, and will rely heavily on community input to influence downtown design. Neighborhood meetings, virtual open houses, web surveys, and a two-day public design workshop will be held to hear directly from community members.
To stay up-to-date on project news and involvement opportunities, please sign up to receive email or text message updates.
- Develop the urban design framework for downtown to define districts and gateways, outline building design and placement, identify opportunities for gathering areas and provide connections for pedestrian and bicyclists to connect everything.
- Create opportunities for community members to influence downtown design, including the look and feel of the area.
- Update development rules to ensure the urban design framework can become a reality.
- Remove development obstacles.
- Develop an action plan to identify quick wins and long term efforts to make downtown as exciting and inviting as ever.