Pre-Development Grant Program
An array of grants are offered to stimulate investment and activity, facilitate redevelopment of underutilized sites and attract business growth in targeted areas. Selected projects address key city policies and plans, are consistent with city growth targets and preferred uses and maximize site, housing and/or employment potential.
Conceptual Design and Feasibility Grants
Level 1: Up to $5,000 in consultant services for either conceptual design or feasibility analysis contracted by the city (no applicant matching funds required).
Level 2 (Catalytic): Up to $15,000 in consultant services contracted by the city which may include both conceptual design and/or feasibility analysis.
Most pre-development soft costs are grant eligible. Example services from eligible firms include architectural, engineering, environmental, building inspections, surveys, appraisal, etc.
Level 1: Reimburse up to $25,000 (50% match required)
Level 2 (Catalytic): Reimburse up to $75,000 (50% match required and project must be highly catalytic, large scale, and difficult to develop – example: full block high density redevelopment)
The Pre-Development Grant Program may also fund up to $25,000 annually to fund a Placemaking project in order to increase area interest, investment and cultivate community building.
- June 23, 2019 "Pride Parade" was held in conjunction with "Pride in the Park" at Old Town near Beaverton City Park, brought by Kate Kristiansen
- June 28-30, 2019 "Shakespeare Festival" was held in conjunction with a free summer Shakespeare theatrical series at Beaverton City Lawn, brought by Experience Theatre Project
Placemaking Grant #2: Downtown Placemaking Events
The city provided matching grant assistance to the following events in order to increase outdoor activity in key downtown locations.
- August 25, 2018 “Adapt” dance competition @ The Round North Plaza
- September 29, 2018 “Beaverton Oktoberfest” @ LaScala
- June 23, 2019 "Pride Parade" to be held in conjunction with "Pride in the Park" @ Old Town near Beaverton City Park, brought by Kate Kristiansen
- June 28-30, 2019 "Shakespeare Festival" to be held in conjunction with a free summer Shakespeare theatrical series @ Beaverton City Lawn, brough by Experience Theatre Projects
Placemaking Grant #3: Downtown Street Seat (Pilot)
The city awarded MILK+T the temporary use of a custom street seat designed and built by Revolution Design House. The street seat is an outdoor amenity available during MILK+T business hours from May 24-Oct 9, 2019 at 4545 SW Angel Avenue.
In other cities, these functional art installations have been shown to increase pedestrian activity, promote vibrancy and increase business, particularly when partnered with restaurants and programmed to include small event and public gathering opportunities.
The street seat pilot project reinforces Beaverton’s existing strategy to recruit restaurants downtown to create a more vibrant and activated downtown.