2018 Primary Election
- Voters Pamphlet Primary Election 2018
- City Council Election Filing Announcement
- Candidate Filing Handbook - Primary 2018 Election
- City Council Candidate Filings (Filing Form SEL 101 link on candidate's name)
Regular City Elections
Regular City elections are held at the same time and places as biennial elections for electing state and county officers in accordance with applicable state election laws. At each regular City election all elective officers to be nominated or elected and all matters submitted to the electors at that time shall be voted upon.
The Council, by resolution, may call and provide the time, manner, and means for holding a special election. Notice of such special election shall be given at least 10 days prior to the election in the manner provided by the action of the council ordering the election.
Qualifications, Nominations and Other Important Information
Qualifications of Electors
Every person who is a resident of the City and who qualifies as a legal voter under state law may vote in City elections.
Commencement of Terms of Office
The term of office of a person elected at a November general biennial election shall commence on the first day of January following the election.
Nominations, Numbered Council Positions and Nonpartisan Primary and General Elections
- The name of an elector qualified for elective office as provided in Section 11 of the City Charter may be placed on the primary ballot for an elective office of the City. The name of such an elector shall be submitted to the county clerk to be printed upon the City ballot whenever a petition containing the candidate's nomination, written acceptance and signatures of not fewer than ten (10) and not more than twenty (20) qualified electors has been filled with the City elections office (City Recorder). In addition, the signatures must be from at least three (3) different precincts
- A non-partisan primary election shall be held in each even numbered year
Numbered Council Positions
- The nomination of Mayor and Councilors shall be non-partisan. Council positions are numbered in consecutive order. Each Councilor shall be designated by the same position as the Councilor who he or she has succeeded or will succeed in office
- A candidate may not file for more than one numbered position in any one year, nor can a candidate file for another Council position in the same year after withdrawing the original filing
Majority of Votes Required
- In all primary elections, the two persons having the highest number of votes to any municipal office shall be deemed nominated for the run-off election for that office unless one candidate receives a majority of all votes cast for that office at the primary election, in which event that person alone shall be deemed to have been nominated. If two persons have been nominated for any office and the nomination of one of those persons is disqualified for any reason, then the person receiving the third highest number of votes at the primary election for that office shall be deemed nominated for the run-off election for that office to replace the person who was disqualified
All candidacies and measures submitted to the voters of the City in a primary, special or general election shall be publicized by voter's pamphlet in accordance with the City's ordinance. No voter's pamphlet shall be prepared for any election for which no City measures are submitted to the voters and nor more than one person has filed or been nominated for any City office.
If the council finds that there was a material misstatement of fact published in the City voter's pamphlet which was submitted by or in behalf of a person nominated or elected to the council, the nomination or election of that person is nullified.
Write in Votes
The ability of the voters of the City to nominate or elect a candidate by write-in vote shall be provided on all ballots.
Beaverton ballot drop-off locations
Washington County Elections Office
(Service Center East Building)
3700 SW Murray Blvd
Beaverton, OR 97005
Beaverton Library (located inside)
12375 SW 5th St
Beaverton, OR 97005