Seniors & Special Needs
During an emergency, seniors and those with disabilities may have special needs that should be considered when creating a household plan and emergency kit.
- Care: During an emergency, personal care attendants may not be able to make it to their patients. Make sure you have made arrangements with caregivers who are familiar with your personal care agency's emergency policy. If you have a service animal, make sure that it has a registered tag.
- Medication and Medical Supplies: Keep a separate supply of at least seven days worth of any medication or critical medical supplies, such as oxygen. If you rely on electrical medical equipment, such as wheelchairs, ventilators, and oxygen compressors, talk to your medical supply company about getting batteries or a generator as a backup power source.
- Mobility: If you or a family member have difficulty moving quickly and easily, make sure your neighbors are aware and that you have someone who can check in with you in case of an emergency. Develop a support network with several people who will continue to follow up with you after an emergency.
- Accessible Emergency Information
- Coping with Disasters
- DOL.gov - Emergency Preparedness
- Disability Preparedness Resource Center
- National Organization on Disability
- Interagency Coordinating Council on Emergency Preparedness
- Kidney Community Emergency Response (KCER) Coalition
- Oregon.gov - DHS - Emergency Preparedness for Individuals and Families with Disabilities or Special Needs
- Additions to the Emergency Kit and Go Bag for Senior / Special Needs Family Members
- Check for Safety - A Home Fall Prevention Checklist for Older Adults
- Disaster Questions and Answers - Northwest Renal Network
- Four Keys to Being Prepared for a Disaster
- Getting Medical Care and Prescription Drugs in a Disaster or Emergency Area - Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Preparing for Emergencies: A Checklist for People with Mobility Problems
- Resources and Disaster Response - Kidney Community Emergency Response (KCER) Coalition